Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Laughing Cow


Bored, my eyes cruise the deli cheeses at my local grocery store where "The Laughing Cow...Original Creamy Swiss...A French Favorite..." catches my attention.

Sure, why not?

Having been burned by Gouda cheese pretending to be imported when, in fact, it was from Wisconsin and tasted nothing like the Gouda I got when I was in Holland, I examine the Laughing Cow label more closely and turn it over to read the rest.

Hmm. "Original Creamy Swiss Flavor" means there's more to this than I would have otherwise thought.

"Indulge in the rich creamy-delicious taste of imported Swiss cheese, blended with a touch of cream for easy spreading."

The tiny print running below the bar code says, "bel brands USA, 25 Northwest Point Blvd., Elk Grove Village, IL ..."

I chuckle. Taste of imported Swiss cheese, indeed. It certainly isn't Swiss cheese that was actually imported.

My eyes skim over the nutrition facts to the ingredients, below.

"INGREDIENTS: [CHEDDAR..."


BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!


Other shoppers look at me.


HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!


Yes, I laughed today! Who knew the first word of a list of ingredients would be so funny?


No comments: