Saturday, April 19, 2008

So, There!


Every once in a while, someone I know comments on my speaking or writing vocabulary. The nice comments are along the lines of, "You have a good vocabulary." The others complain about my using big words. One aspiring writer who complained that I speak and write over his head said that he doesn't want a broader vocabulary because he doesn't need to advance beyond the reading capability of the people he wants to reach.

Frankly, I never understood the complainers because we've all been to college and, supposedly, can read and converse at the collegiate level. When I check my writing in Microsoft's Word, the reading levels usually come out between the 8th to 11th grades, right where I need them to be. Since I've never discussed it with anyone, I've wondered if Word miscalculated, especially in the light of the comments I've received.

Until now.

CriticsRant has a blog readability test that verifies what Word's been telling me all along, that those who complain about my vocabulary either weren't taught very well by their schools or they weren't paying attention to their teachers or something else totally unrelated to me:

blog readability test

To those who have been to college AND think I use words that are too big --

Nyah-nyah-nyah! Phffbt!

So, there! :P


No comments: