Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Switch


My cell phone rang this morning as it did yesterday about the same time. Not recognizing the phone number yesterday, I didn't answer. After waiting long enough for voice mail that never arrived, I checked the phone book and learned that the number is from an area code in Maryland where I have no friends. This morning, I answered to ask the telemarketer to place me on the company's Do Not Call list and the recording instructed me to press "1" to speak with a person to get a lower interest rate than my current loan.

Jessica answered and asked for my name.

"Gail Rhea," I replied.

She hung up! I never before had a telemarketer hang up on me.

[Note: The FCC prohibits telemarketers from using automated dialers for calling wireless numbers and most telemarketing calls to cell phones have always been illegal whether or not the cell number is on the National Do Not Call Registry.]

If something like this happens to you, please be sure to file a complaint with the FCC and the FTC which operates the National Do Not Call Registry where you may file a complaint if your number has been registered for at least 31 days.

Unfortunately, the FTC page is in an infinite loop with another of its pages apparently since June 9, 2008. (Yes, I reported it to the webmaster.)

Click here to register your personal phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry.


No comments: