Thursday, March 18, 2010

Score! (Pattern)


I'm on a roll.

I've had issues with my travel wardrobe because I have one of those magical waistlines that expands more and contracts less than clothing with elastic waistbands can handle. The last time I went home to Hawai`i, I had to have the zippered skirt I took altered because it got too loose. Another skirt, a wrap skirt, allowed me to move the button myself, but in breezy conditions, a wrap skirt offers spontaneous free shows unless I keep a hand on it.

On my last road trip, I tried skirts, pants, and cropped pants with drawstring waists that were great. Unfortunately, the material is a blend of polyester and rayon and that much polyester in warm weather makes me want to break out of my clothes - definitely not the urge to follow unless I'm going to bathe.

As a result, I started thinking that I'm going to have to make my own. Sure, it would be easier to pack a couple of pareos to wear as skirts, but then I wouldn't have pockets in any of my skirts and what about when I need to wear pants?

At Walmart, I went to the sewing department that's being closed out and looked through the narrow selection of fabrics before perusing a couple of pattern books. Considering the cost of a pattern running in the neighborhood of US$16 plus the cost of the material, it almost doesn't seem worth making your own clothing anymore, unless you need something specific or enjoy creating your own fashions, because I've been able to get things on sale at Dillard's for $9-25.

Then, I saw it. On a rack above the pattern books, there was an envelope containing patterns for a short-sleeved shirt, top, skirt, and pants. McCall's "Easy stitch 'n save" M5352, comes in two sizes: A for 8, 10, 12, and 14; B for 14, 16, 18, and 20. This makes it ideal for women who need "fat" clothes and "skinny" clothes due to weight fluctuation. Plus, the skirt pattern is for an A-line skirt which is flattering on any body type. Plus, it's priced at only $2.99. Whoo-hoo!

I could hardly believe my good luck! With this, I can make an entire travel wardrobe and the only changes I have to make is to insert a drawstring into the waistbands instead of elastic and shorten the length of the pants to make crop pants, Capris, or shorts.

At the checkout register, the cashier asked if I found everything okay and I shared my good fortune.

"I'm so glad your sewing department isn't entirely gone, yet," I said.

"The price is better, too, because everything's on closeout," she replied.

"Yes, it's only $2.99 while most others were around $16."

"Is that the sale price?" she asked.

"Uh..." I examined the envelope. "No, that's the price printed on it."

She took the envelope and scanned it. "How about $2.50?"

"Yes, that's better," I said.

She checked some papers. "How about $1.50?"

Half off of only a $3 item? "That's great!" I said.

Score!


No comments: