Thursday, April 22, 2010

Score! (Risë Stevens)


A side benefit of looking for "Amazing Grace" done by Janis Joplin was that it reminded me of my wanting to find "Risë Stevens in Songs of Jerome Kern" because her "Smoke Gets In My Eyes" is the best I've ever heard along with "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man."

In case you don't know, Risë Stevens is a retired NY Met opera mezzo soprano, famous during the 40s and 50s, who successfully crossed over to pop.

Mom had the album and I hoped to inherit it one day, but it got ruined a long time ago.

Checking Amazon, I found a CD called "The Pop Side" that has those two songs plus a few others I recognized from Mom's album, so I ordered it (used) for only $5.23 including shipping. It arrived in only three days, in great condition, and the songs are just as good as I remembered.

Score!


No comments: